Enjoy your own midsummer Caribbean festival with this tasty, meal-sized salad. The allspice is the essential ingredient for that true jerk flavour. Pump up the cayenne for more kick, and get the benefits of all that fibre and iron (and lots of B vitamins).
|¾ cup||lightly packed brown sugar||175 mL|
|½ cup||raspberry vinegar||125 mL|
|½ cup||water||125 mL|
|3 tbsp||ground allspice||45 mL|
|½ tsp||cayenne pepper (or to taste)||2 mL|
|Salt and freshly ground black pepper|
|4||boneless, skinless chicken breasts||4|
|(about 1 lb/500 g), cut into strips|
|½ cup||frozen corn kernels, thawed (or use fresh)||125 mL|
|½ cup||canned black beans or kidney beans, drained and rinsed||125 mL|
|1||head romaine lettuce (small to medium),
washed and torn (or 8 cups/2 L lettuce mix of your choice)
|½ cup||sliced cucumber||125 mL|
|½ cup||sliced bell pepper (any colour)||125 mL|
|Nonfat, plain yogurt (optional)|
- Prepare the marinade/dressing: In a large bowl, combine brown sugar, vinegar, water, allspice, cayenne and salt and pepper to taste.
- Place chicken in a shallow dish and pour in half of the marinade/dressing. Cover and refrigerate for at least one hour, or overnight.
- Add corn and beans to the remaining marinade/dressing. Cover and refrigerate for at least one hour or overnight.
- Remove chicken from marinade and discard marinade. Working in small batches, stir-fry chicken for 5 to 6 minutes or until no longer pink inside. Don’t crowd the pan, or the chicken will steam instead of browning. (Alternatively, you can grill the chicken.)
- To the corn-bean mixture, add romaine, carrot, cucumber and bell pepper; toss to coat vegetables with dressing.
- Make a bed of salad on each of 4 plates and top with chicken and a dollop of plain, nonfat yogurt, if desired.
Makes 4 servings
Nutrition per serving
|Total fat||2.9 g|
Diabetes food choice values per serving: 2½ carbohydrates, 3 meat and alternatives.
Jerk chicken salad recipe courtesy of Dietitians of Canada, Simply Great Food by Patricia Chuey, Eileen Campbell and Mary Sue Waisman and Dietitians of Canada © www.robertrose.ca. Reprinted with publisher permission.
More healthy recipes:
- Kasha with summer vegetables
- Sun roasted carrot and chicken salad
- Morning glory muffins
- Barley risotto with asparagus and lemon
- Cornmeal pancakes
|Find out more about preventing and managing diabetes. Visit Discussing diabetes.|
Get more FREE tips and tools to help you live a brighter, healthier life.
Sign up for the monthly Brighter Life Healthy living newsletter.
What if you experienced a serious health issue?
Would your family be protected?
Learn about individual health insurance solutions.