Start the day off bright with one of these delicious muffins, baked with the goodness of fruit and veggies, and the tang of freshly grated nutmeg.
|1½ cups||whole wheat flour||375 mL|
|½ cup||wheat germ||125 mL|
|1 tsp||baking powder||5 mL|
|1 tsp||baking soda||5 mL|
|1½ tsp||ground cinnamon||7 mL|
|½ tsp||freshly grated nutmeg||2 mL|
|1 cup||grated carrots (about 2 medium)||250 mL|
|1 cup||grated apple||250 mL|
|1/3 cup||unsweetened shredded coconut||75 mL|
|1/3 cup||raisins or chopped dried apricots or figs||75 mL|
|2||large egg whites||2|
|½ cup||packed brown sugar||125 mL|
|¾ cup||nonfat plain yogurt||175 mL|
|3 tbsp||canola oil||45 mL|
- Preheat oven to 375oF (190oC) and spray a 12-cup nonstick muffin pan generously with vegetable oil cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, stir together flour, wheat germ, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg. Stir in carrots, apple, coconut and raisins.
- In a medium bowl, whisk egg whites and egg. Whisk in brown sugar, yogurt and oil.
- Stir egg mixture into flour mixture until just combined. (Batter will be thick.) Divide batter evenly among prepared muffin cups, filling almost to the top
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 24 minutes or until tops spring back when lightly touched. Let cool in pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes, then transfer muffins to rack to cool.
- Makes 12 muffins
Nutrition per muffin
|Total fat||6 g|
|Saturated fat||2 g|
Diabetes food choice values per serving: 2 carbohydrate, 1 fat
And if you’re looking for a healthy drink to go with your muffin, the Joyous Health nutrition blog has a long list of recipes for juices and smoothies, including this pumpkin spice smoothie, a non-dairy delight packed with protein and the benefits of cinnamon, ginger and cloves.
|Find out more about preventing and managing diabetes. Visit Discussing diabetes.|
Get more FREE tips and tools to help you live a brighter, healthier life.
Sign up for the monthly Brighter Life Healthy living newsletter.
What if you experienced a serious health issue?
Would your family be protected?
Learn about individual health insurance solutions.