When winter winds howl, there’s nothing like a hot bowl of chili to warm you from the inside out. Freeze individual portions for a fast, healthy meal.
Preparation time: 10 minutes / Cooking time: 20 minutes
|1 tbsp||vegetable oil||15 mL|
|2||cloves garlic, diced||2|
|½ cup||diced red onion||125 mL|
|1||package (12 oz/340 g) Mexican-flavoured||1|
|vegetarian ground round|
|1 cup||diced green bell pepper||250 mL|
|2||cans (each 19 oz/540 mL)||2|
|diced tomatoes (about 4¾ cups/1.175 L)|
|1||can (19 oz/540 mL) red kidney beans drained and rinsed||1|
|(about 2 cups/500 mL)|
|1 cup||grated carrots||250 mL|
|1 tbsp||dried parsley||15 mL|
|1 tsp||hot pepper sauce||5 mL|
|Freshly ground black pepper|
|½ cup||shredded Cheddar cheese||125 mL|
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Sauté garlic and red onion until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add ground round, breaking it apart with a wooden spoon to prevent clumps; sauté for 2 to 3 minutes or until evenly heated.
- Add green pepper and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, beans, carrots, parsley, hot pepper sauce and pepper to taste; cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until beans are heated through.
- Ladle into serving bowls and sprinkle with cheese.
- Makes six servings
- If you can’t find Mexican-flavoured vegetarian ground round, use regular vegetarian ground round and add 2 tbsp (25 ml) of chili powder.
- Use as a base for Mexican shepherd’s pie, topped with cornbread.
Variation: Substitute a 12-oz/341 mL can of peaches-and-cream corn, drained, for the carrots.
Very high in vitamin A, thiamine, riboflavin, niacin, vitamin B12 and iron; high in vitamin C, folate and vitamin B6
Diabetes food choice values per serving: ½ carbohydrate, 2 meat and alternatives
Courtesy Dietitians of Canada: Simply Great Food: 250 Quick, Easy & Delicious Recipes by Patricia Chuey, MSc, RD, Eileen Campbell & Mary Sue Waisman, MSc, RD © 2007 robertrose.ca Reprinted with publisher permission.
|Find out more about preventing and managing diabetes. Visit Discussing diabetes.|
Get more FREE tips and tools to help you live a brighter, healthier life.
Sign up for the monthly Brighter Life Healthy living newsletter.
Enter your email address:
What if you experienced a serious health issue?
Would your family be protected?
Learn about individual health insurance solutions.