I mean no disrespect to my Facebook friends when I say this, but the truth is Twitter is almost always more fun. Facebook is filled with the friends I have. Twitter is all about the friends I wish I had.
Here are my 10 favourites. None are focused on personal finance, investing or the economy. And again, no particular order.
- @City Raccoon. I don’t know who is behind this account, but he or she makes me laugh out loud. The tweets are always first, um, person. Like this: “Peek out from under an Acura. Blink blink.” Urbane without being exclusive to urbanites. Love it.
- @davidfrum. Once a speechwriter for President George W. Bush, David Frum has emerged as one of the most thoughtful conservative commentators in the world. He was also way ahead in the blogosphere. Frum is a must if you’re following the U.S. presidential election.
- @piersmorgan. This one surprised me. I wasn’t a fan at all until I checked Piers Morgan out on Twitter. He’s smart, funny and most impressively, self-effacing. Plus he’s an Arsenal fan so I get a huge kick out of hearing him complain about the Gunners. Go Rooney.
- @jeffjarvis. Jeff Jarvis launched the influential buzzmachine.com site, and has emerged as a genuine thought leader in the digital space. Not bad for a former TV Guide writer.
- @OHnewsroom. Quotes overheard in a newsroom. I don’t know if it’s real or not, and I don’t care. Fall down funny.
- @dgardner. You’ve read Dan Gardner quoted on this blog. The Ottawa Citizen columnist authored two important books: Risk and Future Babble.
- @acoyne. You can’t subscribe to Dan without also adding Andrew Coyne. If you’ve ever wondered what it sounds like when journalists get together outside the office, here you go.
- @FareedZakaria. I know I sound like a broken record when it comes to Fareed Zakaria. But seriously, he’s the most important journalist going right now. If you don’t follow him, you’re not getting the whole story.
- @SteveMartinToGo. Turns out Steve Martin is funnier on Twitter than anywhere else he’s ever appeared. No joke.
- @Angela_D_Merkel. Definitely not real. But whoever is behind this account deserves a book deal.
Also check out my on-topic list of Twitter favourites.